[PD] Do not use OSCx. Use mrpeach's externals instead

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 21 13:38:51 CEST 2010

On 2010-04-21 13:30, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Roman Haefeli escribió:
>
>> Do _not_ start to use the OSCx externals, since they are buggy and
>> unmaintained. Use the OSC and net objects from mrpeach instead (packOSC,
>> unpackOSC, routeOSC, udpsend, udpreceive etc). The OSCx externals are
>> still there only for legacy reasons.
>
> Ok thanks for warning. I will _not_ use them.
>
> If a library or external that is obsolete or deprecated is included in
> Pd-External, there should be a way for the user to know that.
> I guess it has already been said a few times in the list, but when you
> browse the extra folder (or the help browser) and you find an external
> you don't usually do a search in the list archives to see if it is
> deprecated...
>
> A way could be to include help-patches (which are missing right now) and
> put a comment that read "DEPRECATED" in each of them.

another way could be to _not_ include help-patches, so people don't
learn how to use them :-)

anyhow, i have now added a "deprecated" line to these objects, so
whenever you create one of them, you will get a warning.
i thought i already did that once, but probably only in my dreams.

fgmasdr
IOhannes