[PD] naming objects

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 03:25:51 CEST 2010

Well...that got me thinking. I've often wondered how to avoid nameclashes.
If each object has a prefix then this could be avoided.

So, jmmmp externs could be called jmmmp.prepend or jmmmp.rds etc (or jmmmp_rds - whatever flavour suits your tongue!)

Otherwise there are nameclashes that can seriously screw up a collection of abstractions. So, for example, the latest Metastudio objects have a phasevocoder~ abstraction (using pvoc~ from the bsaylor objects) but a lot of the other objects use the svf~ from cyclone (not bsaylor/svf~). Once bsaylor is imported into Pd-extended, the svf~ will always default to the bsaylor one (that has a denormal error, although I think I fixed this - anyone for testing?)

I got round this by setting the objects in PD to cycone/svf~ and bsaylor/pvoc~ (in case anyone else makes a pvoc~ object). But many PD users, especially those used to Mac or Windowze, will not know that you can access the directory structure of the extra folder directly within PD.

I think I might have to rename all my abstractions now...or maybe I'm too lazy until it becomes a problem.

Ed

Metastudio 3 for Pure Data - Free download at:
http://sharktracks.co.uk/puredata