[PD] naming objects

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 26 09:07:30 CEST 2010

On 2010-04-25 15:04, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> Just a quick note: as operating systems treat upper- and lowercase in
>> filenames differently (Linux is picky and will not load
>> renderDepthSelector.pd for an object called [renderdepthselector],
>> while Windows and OS-X will do), I try to avoid uppercase in
>> abstraction names.
>
> On Windows and OSX, [renderdepthselector] won't create either, though
> the file will be open. GetProcAddress and dlsym are case-sensitive. Then
> after that, class_new is case-sensitive too (because selectors are
> case-sensitive).

all true, but GetProcAddress will never be called for a file called
"renderDepthSelector.pd".

anyhow, i (personally) don't think that CamelCase objectnames are bad.
just make sure that you really use them throughout, both on the
filesystem level and on the patching level.
(or even better: switch to a case sensitive filesystem in the first
place :-))

>> Or you go with operating system features: On *nix systems you could
>> use a symbolic link like "ln -s renderDepthSelector.pd rds.pd".
>
> Only on filesystems that support it. I say that because FAT is becoming
> *more* common on those operating systems; so when you transmit the file
> using flash-memory formatted the default way, you have to tar it or zip it.

i didn't know that zip would handle symbolic links. (never tried though)
thanks for the idea.

fgmasdr
IOhannes