[PD] naming objects

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Apr 25 15:04:16 CEST 2010

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Just a quick note: as operating systems treat upper- and lowercase in
> filenames differently (Linux is picky and will not load
> renderDepthSelector.pd for an object called [renderdepthselector], while
> Windows and OS-X will do), I try to avoid uppercase in abstraction
> names.

On Windows and OSX, [renderdepthselector] won't create either, though the
file will be open. GetProcAddress and dlsym are case-sensitive. Then after
that, class_new is case-sensitive too (because selectors are
case-sensitive).

> Or you go with operating system features: On *nix systems you could use
> a symbolic link like "ln -s renderDepthSelector.pd rds.pd".

Only on filesystems that support it. I say that because FAT is becoming
*more* common on those operating systems; so when you transmit the file
using flash-memory formatted the default way, you have to tar it or zip
it.