[PD] naming objects

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Apr 25 10:32:46 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:35:19PM -0400, sonia yuditskaya wrote:
> I am trying to make a gaggle of objects and some of them have spun out with
> rather long names ([renderDepthSelector] is one example).

Just a quick note: as operating systems treat upper- and lowercase in
filenames differently (Linux is picky and will not load
renderDepthSelector.pd for an object called [renderdepthselector], while
Windows and OS-X will do), I try to avoid uppercase in abstraction names.

> It seems helpful to keep that name for the object (as it may make the
> thing more self explanatory), but I would also like to make an option
> for it to form with an abbreviation (say [rds]) analogous to the way
> [trigger] and [t] function.  Do any of you brilliant minds know how to
> do that by any chance?

I assume that you talk of abstractions here. You could do wrapper
abstractions. For example rds.pd would just look like

  [inlet]

  [renderDepthSelector $1 ...]

  [outlet]

Or you go with operating system features: On *nix systems you could use
a symbolic link like "ln -s renderDepthSelector.pd rds.pd". Of course
this is machine-dependent.

Ciao
--
Frank