[PD] naming objects

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Apr 26 18:18:11 CEST 2010

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> One way of fixing this once and for all would be to have a separate
> [objectmaker] for each canvas (including abstractions, but not subpatches,
> ie, those canvases that have a t_canvasenvironment attached to them - at
> least that is how I understand that part of Pd's code).

Thanks for bringing back the topic. There was a thread about that on
pd-dev in september 2006, e.g. :

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-09/007591.html
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-09/007605.html
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-09/007607.html
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-09/007608.html
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-09/007609.html
etc

> I have a vague sketch of an implementation like this already, but it's quite
> brutal to the core of Pd so I doubt the changes would be accepted by anyone
> without me cleaning it up a lot and providing a clean .diff to a current
> development version of Pd...

cleanliness is in the eye of the beholder... if you spend a lot of time
cleaning, you can realise that it doesn't look any cleaner to the people
you want to please, or else it can look dirtier.

apart from that, I think that you deserve good luck with this project and
I am happy to learn that you succeeded.

but how does «t_pd *pd_newest» work in that context ?