[PD] Patch Tracker WAS no reverb or delwrite~, delread~ working with -nogui onUbuntu 10.04

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jun 5 21:29:10 CEST 2010

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Dan Wilcox wrote:

> Use the tracker. That's what it's there for.

Alright.

> Keeping changes to core functionality only in SVN logs works for
> projects with a small group of contributors who are mainly developers.

When it comes to the pd/src folder, Pd is a project with a small group of
contributors and they are all developers.

> Non technical users and users like myself who don't have svn commit
> access already submit to the tracker

I deleted my svn commit access on the grounds that it's not useful to have
it. The SVN is used for people working alone. Each folder typically has a
single committer to it. That moots much of the reason for using SVN at
all.

> and as Hans said the discussion area is useful.

yes. In my own projects, the discussion area is a plain MailMan
mailing-list sometimes and IRC chat for the rest.

>>> Also endless discussions over help formats seem like such
>>> trivialities in the grand scheme of things.
>> Then tell, what do you suggest that we do ?
> Use help patches directly.

How directly ?!... I don't understand at all.

> We should choose the best among the existing formats and use it.

Yeah yeah, but how do you do that ?... who is we, and what's the decision
process, what happens with the people who still don't agree, etc? Those
are routinely-avoided questions...

> Surveys from non-technical users

technical users are also users.

the perspective of those writing the help files should count at least as
much as those who only read them. After all, for help files to be read,
they need to be written first. (Because of the number of writers, this
means that each writer ought to count more than each reader).

> and voting may be required.

You know, if there was a vote against the GridFlow format, I would not
switch to a different help file format. The only format my helpfiles will
migrate to, are ulterior versions of the same format.

> I think the input from a few workshops is far more useful then
> developers squabbling over which canvases and layout look best.

The automated layout system of GridFlow was designed as such in reaction
to people squabbling over which canvases and layout look best.

If you know those meetings, you know that it wasn't just a developers'
meeting.

> We script in a new layout template into each patch

How do you do that ?

> Also, the pd gui rewrite offers possibilities such as a menu option to
> automatically create an svn diff of the current patch.

where's that feature ? I don't see it anywhere in the menus.

> That live demo aspect is what I think makes it so intuitive. As you
> suggest, the basic format is obvious versus XML, html, etc.

If it were so obvious to everybody, then there would not have been a need
for another thread about it (on the pdmtl mailing-list) in reaction to
news of a (then upcoming) pdpedia meeting. the thread(s) was short and
one-sided : it seems hard to get proponents of pdpedia to answer any
questions in public...

> You don't have to tell me this.

And you don't have to say things like « will this ever happen for Pd? ».