[PD] MIDI In-to-Out Latency

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Sun Jun 6 09:40:35 CEST 2010

hello,

i had almost the same problem : my setup use a usb->midi device, i plugged a cable between the midi in and midi out : i tried to minimized the loop.
i'm on linux, and i realized few things :

-midi in is very fast
-midi out have the same latency than audio. pd is the only software i know doing this, but it make sense in order to keep sync between audio and midi, whatever you audio buffer is.
so, if you reduce the audio buffer, the midi latency will be reduce!
-using pd -audiobuf 5 result in a 10ms loop with a lot of jitter.
-using pd -rt -noaudio the midi loop is about 3ms and it does have very few jitter. (rt reduce jitter, noaudio reduce latency)

since you did try pd -noaudio, i don't understand why it did not improve things for you. are you sure that this argument was recognise by pd (so that you really don't have audio)?

so, if you don't have to compute audio with pd, then you can have good midi performances.
if you need to have a big audio buffer, and a small midi latency, then it's easier to use 2 pd with different configuration, and connect them with netsend/ netreceive.

i used to have a script (maybe you can find one on the internet) that convert OSC message to midi. it's a (bad) solution, but allow to have good midi performance whatever pd configuration used.

hope that help,
Cyrille