[PD] Google Summer of Code 2011

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 00:21:23 CEST 2010

I'm definitely interested and willing to help out. I will be a student again starting in the fall, so I'd be eligible to work on it next summer.

I think it's important to not only make a great application but also define what we as a community and the project need to do in order to support the application. This makes me think of things like:
getting a list of universities, organizations, and individuals that use pd (with links, logos, etc)
expanding the PD showcase of projects made with pd (like the Processing Exhibition)
centralizing information: integrating the main pure-data.info wiki, the source forge page, the pd forum, and this list in some way? sort of a more cohesive web presence if that makes sense. Maybe this is not practical ...
a wiki section for externals with info and links for all major libraries (including those in pd-extended)

On Jun 6, 2010, at 10:22 PM, patrick mcnameeking wrote:

> Hello List:
>
> I am interested in putting together an application for Pure Data to participate in next year's Google Summer of Code event.  The Summer of Code is an event where students are matched with mentors to work on various open-source projects, and are given a rather generous stipend.  More information can be found here:
> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> As an organization, Pure Data has applied to participate in GSoC twice in the past and has been rejected.  The reasons for rejection are not clear to me, but Hans-Christoph Steiner, who has lead the charge in the past, said that he thinks it is worth trying to reapply.
> Here is a link to a previous application that was rejected:
> http://puredata.info/dev/summer-of-code
>
> While perusing through the list of organizations that are participating in 2010's Summer of Code, I couldn't help but notice that many of them were tagged with application to Google's Android OS.  Since Pd can be ported to Android, it might be to our benefit to point out Pd's possible application to developing mobile apps.
>
> Alternatively, if nothing pans out for Pd in terms of GSoC (either from rejection of an application or from a lack of interest) it was suggested to me by Andy Farnell to seek alternative sponsorship from possible benefactors such as Sun or EA.
>
> Finally, I'd like to say upfront that I'm a University Student and what originally got me interested in GSoC was the potential prestige and stipend that would accompany participation.  If some sort of grant/sponsorship opportunity opens up, I fully intend on applying for it.  I ask that if at any point in time it seems as though I am creating an unfair advantage for myself, that someone please let me know.
>
> I hope that as a community we can make something happen!
> Pat
>
> --
> 'Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.'

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com
robotcowboy.com