[PD] Google Summer of Code 2011

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Mon Jun 7 00:28:04 CEST 2010

Its a great initiative, although more support for pd on android is
interesting and can give a more "google appeal" to it, try to cover many
areas where help is needed, like in the previous applications for GSoC.

>expanding the PD showcase of projects made with pd (like the Processing
Exhibition <http://processing.org/exhibition/>)
Yep, very important! For instance I learned here in this list that EA used a
modified pd for Spore audio synthesis! That should give pd some points :P

best of luck with this year's application,
Pedro

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm definitely interested and willing to help out. I will be a student
> again starting in the fall, so I'd be eligible to work on it next summer.
>
> I think it's important to not only make a great application but also define
> what we as a community and the project need to do in order to support the
> application. This makes me think of things like:
>
>    - getting a list of universities, organizations, and individuals that
>    use pd (with links, logos, etc)
>    - expanding the PD showcase of projects made with pd (like the Processing
>    Exhibition <http://processing.org/exhibition/>)
>    - centralizing information: integrating the main pure-data.info wiki,
>    the source forge page, the pd forum, and this list in some way? sort of a
>    more cohesive web presence if that makes sense. Maybe this is not practical
>    - a wiki section for externals with info and links for all major
>    libraries (including those in pd-extended)
>

> On Jun 6, 2010, at 10:22 PM, patrick mcnameeking wrote:
>
> Hello List:
>
> I am interested in putting together an application for Pure Data to
> participate in next year's Google Summer of Code event.  The Summer of Code
> is an event where students are matched with mentors to work on various
> open-source projects, and are given a rather generous stipend.  More
> information can be found here:
> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> As an organization, Pure Data has applied to participate in GSoC twice in
> the past and has been rejected.  The reasons for rejection are not clear to
> me, but Hans-Christoph Steiner, who has lead the charge in the past, said
> that he thinks it is worth trying to reapply.
> Here is a link to a previous application that was rejected:
> http://puredata.info/dev/summer-of-code
>
> While perusing through the list of organizations that are participating in
> 2010's Summer of Code, I couldn't help but notice that many of them were
> tagged with application to Google's Android OS.  Since Pd can be ported to
> Android, it might be to our benefit to point out Pd's possible application
> to developing mobile apps.
>
> Alternatively, if nothing pans out for Pd in terms of GSoC (either from
> rejection of an application or from a lack of interest) it was suggested to
> me by Andy Farnell to seek alternative sponsorship from possible benefactors
> such as Sun or EA.
>
> Finally, I'd like to say upfront that I'm a University Student and what
> originally got me interested in GSoC was the potential prestige and stipend
> that would accompany participation.  If some sort of grant/sponsorship
> opportunity opens up, I fully intend on applying for it.  I ask that if at
> any point in time it seems as though I am creating an unfair advantage for
> myself, that someone please let me know.
>
> I hope that as a community we can make something happen!
> Pat
>
> --
> 'Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.'

> [...]

Pedro Lopes
contacto: jazz at radiozero.pt
website: http://web.ist.utl.pt/Pedro.Lopes