[PD] Where is the object reference documentation?

Jim Aikin midiguru23 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 7 23:20:25 CEST 2010

On 6/7/2010 2:00 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2010, at 9:04 PM, Jim Aikin wrote:
>
>> I think that would probably be the way to go with Pd documentation as
>> well -- some sort of handbook that gives users step-by-step
>> instructions on all of the basic things they will need or want to do
>> when getting started. Once they're up and running, they will be able
>> to find more advanced information wherever it's tucked away.
>
> You mean like Johannes Kreidler's Programming Electronic Music in Pd
> <http://www.pd-tutorial.com/>?

Could be. I'll have a look at it -- thanks for the link. In general,
however, I would suggest that a website-based multi-page manual is
always a bad idea, for two reasons: First, because it's not searchable.
Second, because it's an invitation to the author to jumble things up and
leave some pages blank "to be filled in later." This is not a criticism
of Kreidler's work, which I haven't read, it's just a general
observation based on other things I've seen.

What one wants, I think, is a single PDF file that, in the absence of an
index, can be searched for text strings, and that is conceived and
written in a linear, coherent manner.

--JA