[PD] plugin~ external

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Fri Jun 11 10:22:50 CEST 2010

IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> On 06/11/2010 01:49 AM, Kim Cascone wrote:
>
>>> i thought this is what you were asking for with "is there a way on the
>>> command line to load only certain libs?"
>>>

>> yes, but I'm trying to understand your statement: 'the panel merely
>> being a wrapper around the -path flag'
>>

> ah in understand.
> i was referring to the path-entry box, and not to the "apply/save"
> buttons in the panels.

OK so I grok that the panel is just a gui for the command line
and that if you do not hit the Apply button all the paths are also 'per
session'

I guess I've been hitting the Apply button automatically and never
checked what happens if I didn't hit Apply

in Max/MSP you can simply enter a path into the 'file prefs' panel and
it will be there after relaunching - so this is the behavior I expected
to see only because I've used Max/MSP for 10+ years
> both the cmd-line flags and the .pdsettings are a way to configure your
> Pd sessions; none of them are a way to script Pd (which it seems is what
> you were expecting:
actually, it seems that the .pdsettings are loaded on start up -- no?
so wouldn't that make them a sort of script too - in a sense?
i.e. changes made to this file are 'persistent' across program startups
so long as the .pdsettings file is unchanged
>  being able to script Pd from the cmdline to store
> it's preferences to a file) [1]

yes, I was only interested in creating a workflow that would make
testing plugin~ smoother
no big deal about not being able to set -flags persistently

>> unless I'm not understanding something
>> making these changes from the panel in Pd these settings are persistent
>> making them from the command line they are not
>>

> the question is, why would you want to make the settings persistens from
> the console?
> and how is this .pdsettings more persistent than cmdline flags or a
> shell-scripts.

.pdsettings gets loaded on startup - no?
so, if I make changes directly to this file in gedit won't those changes
be loaded as well?
sorry, I'm just trying to understand all this better :)

>>> use a shell-script.
>>>

>> a shell script would only work on a per session basis as well - no?
>>

> all settings are "per session";
> whenever you run the shell-script with the same-flags, you will have the
> same behaviour of Pd.
> .pdsettings are just a more user friendly way to provide Pd-settings
> (for users that are afraid of the cli; e.g. i regularily delete my
> .pdsettings, because i don't need it and it only interferes with what
> i'm doing)
>

> anyhow, since Pd is cool and despite of what i said above, it even
> allows you to save your preferences with shell-flags.
>
> [1] pd -lib blu -send "pd save-preferences ;"

ah ha! the truth comes out! ;)
so in trying to understand the flags above
 -lib loads the 'blu' library
and -send sends PdX a message to save-preferences?
is this prefs stored as the .pdsettings file?

thanks again for your PdX lessons - they help me understand the
difference between Max and Pd :)
==================================

also, I found some other bugs/issues in [plugin~]
see attached file for info

===================================

one thing not included in the file is a difference between
what analyseplugins <foo> returns in the term
versus what [info] returns from [plugin~] in the console

here is an example for the 'delayorama' LADSPA plug:

sudo analyseplugin delayorama_1402.so

"Random seed" input, control, 0 to 1000, default 0, integer
    "Input gain (dB)" input, control, -96 to 24, default 0
    "Feedback (%)" input, control, 0 to 100, default 0
    "Number of taps" input, control, 2 to 128, default 2, integer
    "First delay (s)" input, control, 0 to 5, default 0
    "Delay range (s)" input, control, 0.0001 to 6, default 6
    "Delay change" input, control, 0.2 to 5, default 1
    "Delay random (%)" input, control, 0 to 100, default 0
    "Amplitude change" input, control, 0.2 to 5, default 1
    "Amplitude random (%)" input, control, 0 to 100, default 0
    "Dry/wet mix" input, control, 0 to 1, default 1
    "Input" input, audio
    "Output" output, audio

=======================================
versus the PdX console sent when sending [info] to plugin~
=======================================

verbose( 1):plugin~: constructed plugin "Delayorama" successfully
verbose( 1):plugin~: plugin ports: audio 1/1 ctrl 11/0
verbose( 1):plugin~: plugin active
plugin~: "Delayorama"
print: port in control Random seed 0 1000
error: [print]: close-paren without open-paren
error: [print]: close-paren without open-paren
print: port in control Number of taps 2 128
error: [print]: close-paren without open-paren
error: [print]: close-paren without open-paren
print: port in control Delay change 0.2 5
error: [print]: close-paren without open-paren
print: port in control Amplitude change 0.2 5
error: [print]: close-paren without open-paren
print: port in control Dry/wet mix 0 1
print: port in audio Input 0 1
print: port out audio Output 0 1