[PD] overriding objects

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 02:37:14 CEST 2010

Sorry, I wasn't being specific-- I'm talking about what happens with [import ekext]
or [import pddp].  Aren't these are both examples of "loading a library?"

While it's true [import ekext/polymap] or [declare -lib ekext/polymap] display
the console message for [polymap] (the former upon creation and the latter when
the patch is opened), that message is only printed once; same for your
example below.  Iohannes seemed to be implying that a gf.print console message
would be a nuisance because the message would get printed for every object used
in the
 patch (minus one, apparently):

"so if you load a patch with 87 [print]'s in there, what information do
you
 get if Pd prints 86 times 'dear user\, you are using matju's special
[print]\,
 which has problems with parens.'"

I don't see how such repeated messages would ever happen-- do you?

My main point is that I think it's a good idea that if an object takes over a vanilla
object, the user has some way to know-- for example, to report bugs more
effectively.  There are plenty of externals that print informative console
messages so I don't see why there would be an issue in this case.

-Jonathan