[PD] class_sethelpsymbol (was: [folder] external?)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jun 26 01:07:10 CEST 2010

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> I clearly and distinctly recall that you (Hans) mentioned to me off-list
> in 2008 that use of class_sethelpsymbol() was deprecated for pd-extended
> ("it is best not to use class_sethelpsymbol() at all" [for pd-extended])
> and recommended that I remove those calls from my code

That's the usual mantra. Some kind of preaching without much
justification. Thou shalt not use class_sethelpsymbol, thou shalt not use
aliases, because it's ugly and wrong. it's wrong because it's ugly, and
it's ugly because it's wrong. It's wrong because if you used
class_sethelpsymbol, it would be ugly. (see also : begging the
question !). It sounds like a seminar about young sheep being guided
towards JAVA (Jesus Gosling was born in com.sun.labs.Bethlehem at the
beginning of our era...)

> Indeed.  The same holds (these days) for 'moocow'.  I still feel that
> this discussion is relevant, though.

I don't think it's Hans' business to impose a helpfile style through
deprecation of class_sethelpsymbol. Library writers deserve more freedom
than that... EVEN if they decide to misuse it, then Hans should not seek
to ban sethelpsymbol for example, and instead should go against the
content or the filename, such anything that Degoyon decides to be teaching
us about giraffe(s).