[PD] Jack, Pd-extended, Lucid and me.

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Sun Jul 11 02:54:34 CEST 2010

I really don't recall where this pd came from, but command line says:
pedro at arkana:~$ pdextended -version
Pd version 0.42-5extended-20100530
compiled 09:02:05 May 30 2010

And yes, I'm on karmic (9.10).

>On monday, I will try to run my patch with the 0.42.5 rc4 on an Hardy... we
will see if it works or >not...
In my mind it doesn't "compile" that the issue would be much
Ubuntu-version-dependent, but if you say you could easily run 4 instances of
this exact patch in Hardy and cannot no longer in Lucid.. something is going
on (as Americans say: something "fishy").

Good luck with that :)
Pedro

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Olivier Baudu <lamouraupeuple at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thank you Pedro for all your tests and posts...
>
> You said you are on an Ubuntu 9.10.
> Do you use the pd-extended 0.42.5 nightly auto-builded or did you build a
> 0.41.4 for 9.10 ?
>
> On monday, I will try to run my patch with the 0.42.5 rc4 on an Hardy... we
> will see if it works or not...
>
> My problem is that I can't install Ubuntu 8.04 on my new laptop because
> it's too young for all his hardware to be recognized.
> And I confirm that everything is working fine with an Hardy, Pd-ext 0.41.4
> and jack from the official repository.
>
> 01ivier.
>

> 2010/7/7 Pedro Lopes <pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt>
>
> I was on the train so I had to kill some time :)
>>
>> I tried running jack with buffer size 4k and it worked a lot better, using
>> H4 usb audio. Just one instance dropped jack percentage from ~15%to 1/2 %.
>>
>> It stopped giving A/D/A sync errors in pd console too. But when I fire the
>> second instance... the CPU just bursts to load the patch and once it run
>> with a lot of buffer glitches and another time it didn't even load and jack
>> got so slow that was zombified.
>>
>> Weird thing is a lot of times, the second instance dies, and jack
>> survives... thus could imply that pd is actually crashing for some odd
>> reason. I should try this in my other Linux too, to see if I can get any
>> meaningful information - so far all I did was blab, sorry.
>>
>> best of luck with this,
>> Pedro
>>
>> p.s: I never got this behaviour with any other pd file, should be
>> interesting to see what others on this list report using your patch. I
>> usually never fire 4 pd instances, but sometimes I use two, on windows I had
>> a stupid habit of using zillions (like 5 or more) instances of pd because I
>> double clicked a file and he always opened a new instance for that =P But
>> never had any trouble.
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Pedro Lopes <pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Olivier,
>>>
>>> I dont have much time on my hands now, but I tested your patch in my
>>> Ubuntu 9.10 using jack. results:
>>>
>>> 1) I lauched the first one, it took quite a while and CPU bursted as soon
>>> as the patch opened (meaning.. heavy patch :D)
>>> 1.1) I draw and played a sequence, audio is okay.
>>> 2) I launched the second. Major CPU burst, that pdextended went almost to
>>> 90% cpu all the time
>>> 2.1) The audio began to glitch. (but no xruns on jack)

Pedro Lopes (ongoing MSc)
contact: pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
website: http://web.ist.utl.pt/Pedro.Lopes