[PD] Future of Motorsounds in Electric Cars and Games

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sun Jul 11 23:02:29 CEST 2010

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:01:46 -0400
ede cameron <ecameron at videotron.ca> wrote:
> The problem now is for sure that if there is a mix of different types
> of cars (electric and gas) and that we are use to a certain volume within
> our environment, buses and gas driven cars. If this volume was lowered
> for only electric cars then we won't hear them if however the urban volume
> is lowered through out then there would be no hazard,

An excellent point Ede, it's the relative, contextual volume that
really counts.

> lowering the volume of an urban environment obviously is not top of
> the list of most urban developers.

Indirectly maybe. The UK is looking at a 20mph residential urban
speed limit, and I think this would also lead to quieter roads.

> But standardizing a sound for all cars.. maybe just sample a gas
> driven car and mimimic its acceleration and pitch at different speeds.

Pretty much what we're doing in games right now. But of course I'm
betting on a procedural/modelling approach :)

> Seems a shame to have opportunity to lower volumes in urban settings
> and not work out some solution that involves decreasing sound levels
> instead of increasing them.

And an opportunity to increase road safety. There's nothing in particular
about a car engine sound that makes it easy to localise or estimate
the speed of the vehicle, other than as an aquired/learned skill.
Perhaps that familiar sound can be accented, augmented to channel
better information, definitely a job for rational sound design.

cheers,

Andy