[PD] namecanvas obsolete? Why? Re: Dynamic Graph on Parent

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 00:42:29 CEST 2010

--- On Sun, 10/3/10, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] namecanvas obsolete? Why? Re:  Dynamic Graph on Parent
> To: "IOhannes m zmoelnig" <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Sunday, October 3, 2010, 5:55 PM
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, IOhannes m
> zmoelnig wrote:
> > On 2010-09-30 13:59, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> >> It's not a concept of "this" as brandon wants it
> because it's not a
> >> receive-symbol. In iemguts, what is being used is
> a number that is the
> >> number of canvases to be climbed up the hierarchy
> : so, to get from a
> >> subpatch of a subpatch of an abstraction, to the
> parent of the
> >> abstraction, it takes the number 3.
> > do you mean [sendcanvas 3] would fullfill brandon's
> requirements?
>
> I mean [sendcanvas 0] would fulfill them, and with a
> different argument, it can serve different purposes.
>
> I just cloned it as [gf/canvas_send]. It's in the upcoming
> GridFlow 9.12.

Though this fulfills brandon's requirements, it still doesn't
obsolete [namecanvas].  There are some things you can do
with dynamic patching and mouse messages that rely on namecanvas
to get click-free audio with user interaction, by cutting a
dummy object only from the abstraction that was most recently created.  It's not pretty, but it works.

Also, when I revised the help patches I removed the sentence
about namecanvas being obsolete since it's an incorrect use of
the word.

-Jonathan