[PD] Mix two video streams and add DSK

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 15:31:20 CEST 2010

On 06/10/10 08:49, Simon Wise wrote:
> On 03/10/10 16:37, Jamie Bullock wrote:
>
> Latency was the reason I switched to this system, the performance was
> set in a kind of low budget live TV studio, so with a camera on a person
> speaking the DV delay was unacceptable, the lip-sync was way too far off
> between the live actors voice and the image.
>

>> This project is to port a piece originally done with Max/Jitter to a
>> Pd-based system. The main complaints they had were video quality and
>> latency, so those are problems we need to solve.

Another note re video quality ...

The choice of graphics card, and the speed of the motherboard (i.e. how fast you
can move data between drives, PCI bus, CPU and graphics cards) are important
choices for video quality. The motherboard choice is tricky as some of the
faster boards for this kind of work are aimed at gamers, and maybe not so well
supported in Linux.

An Nvidia card with propriety driver is probably still the only way to go to
give you reasonable control over the various scaling and syncing options to get
the highest quality .. smooth scaling and no tearing etc.

The Intel graphics option may also be worth checking out, their drivers are
properly open and much easier to keep up to date ... and they have been getting
much better in the last year or so. I haven't explored this yet.

Forget ATI for this kind of work in Linux now .. maybe a year or more down the
track this could change, maybe not.

Simon