[PD] dub chords in Pd

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Fri Oct 29 11:43:53 CEST 2010

A huge part of the old dub sound is the saturation of the delay lines,
usually with some filters to carve up the echo as you suggest, Felix.

But one problem in Pd is that delay lines and filters tend to "blow up"
instead of saturate like the old school gear. One of my biggest problem
patches was a recirculating delay line with a high pass filter.
Inevitably, it would die, killing the DSP chain with NaN output. Only
way to get rid of it was to cut and paste the offending filter and delay
line.

I suppose someone could come up with some DSP wizardry to emulate that
analog saturation. But I have been getting a strange kick out of all
these "how do I imitate" threads...

How do I imitate the sound of a very long tube? How can I waveshape the
sound of an overdriven speaker? Where can I download a physical model of
the sound of water? What kind of algorithms produce the sound of a
Slinky going down stairs (alone or in pairs)?

Is it really so difficult to use the real thing itself? (Of the above
examples, the Slinky might be the most difficult thing to locate in
one's studio...) *Must* everything be emulated in this imaginary,
digital world?

Ahem... I'll go have my coffee now.

D.

--