[PD] call for testers for L2Ork iteration of pd-extended (based on 0.42.x branch)

ico at vt.edu ico at vt.edu
Mon Dec 6 01:16:26 CET 2010

> And where does merging your changes in with pd-extended 0.43 fit
> into all this?

Not sure. I've submitted at least half-dozen patches into the sourceforge
already and many more via mailing list and only a fraction of them have been
looked at, and even less merged. Granted, some of them are somewhat
controversial (e.g. revamping the scrolling algorithm), yet with such a low
response rate one certainly feels discouraged in contributing further,
particularly considering just how time-consuming fragmenting improvements into
sub-patches can be. OTOH, I do understand just how hard it can be for one
to maintain code when there are a bunch of patches trickling in at all
times--it's a full-time job in and of itself, particularly in respect to
regressions. Yet, having spent good two weeks chasing exactly such regressions
and IMHO improving editor experience to the point where both show-stopping as
well as usability bugs have been by and large squashed, I certainly hope they
will find their way eventually into the core Pd. The code produced so far has
been clean and (apart from fprintf's for debugging purposes that are currently
commented out awaiting further potential development) should be rather easy to
merge into the main trunk. The real question is whether Hans, or perhaps more
importantly Miller will find doing so to be of their interest.

All that said, I think I'll continue to maintain a L2Ork variation until either
its feature-set becomes synonymous with the core Pd package or there is no more
reason to maintain it (and FWIW as of right now there are plenty, so I don't see
me stopping the support anytime soon).

Cheers!

Ico