[PD] new license for pidip and unauthorized WAS: pd-pidip into Debian

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 6 14:42:03 CET 2010

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, John Harrison wrote:

> I was curious, since EffecTV is GPL and a significant part of PiDiP is a port
> of EffecTV --- does this make an impact on what licenses are valid for PiDiP?

Relicensing of EffecTV code from GPL to Degoyon license is ILLEGAL, and
linking of EffecTV code frorm GPL to Degoyon license is ALSO ILLEGAL. Back
in 2005, I hadn't considered the use of EffecTV code (if I recall), but
there was other GPL'ed code anyway in PiDiP, which was already making
redistribution ILLEGAL.

Any change of license of EffecTV must get prior written approval by
Kentaro Fukuchi and any other possible contributors, but that doesn't make
GPL compatible with Degoyon license (the GPL must be replaced by a more
«bendable» license such as plain BSD).