[PD] new license for pidip and unauthorized WAS: pd-pidip into Debian

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 6 15:15:01 CET 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Pagano, Patrick wrote:

> illegal where? Globally?

Anywhere it is that licenses written by non-lawyers mean anything. Which
means, pretty much everywhere copyright laws may apply today.

> What of fair use?

Fair use traditionally overrides *any* license, thus if you know you can
claim fair use for the use of PiDiP, you can use PiDiP legally. But I
don't know enough about the rules of fair use, and I think it's fairly
more country-dependent than your average part of copyright law.

(PS: and of course, IanaL !)