[PD] libraries in Pd-extended 0.43

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Dec 14 20:56:19 CET 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I mean no disrespect.  When you released 'unauthorized' under the GPL,
> you made a promise to your users that 'unauthorized' would remain free
> software.  That is the meaning of the GPL.

That's not the meaning of it.

The meaning of the GPL (or any other public license) is that once you put
something under the GPL, *that* version of the software can be used under
the same license forever. However, the owners of the copyright can choose
any other license they want for the existing software as long as they
don't make them conflict (users get to pick the license they want in that
case).

The owners of the copyright can also stop distributing the GPL version,
and make a series of versions under whichever other license, and that's
why the FSF considers forking to be a most critical right : the right to
continue to update a free version of any software that has been free.

You know this, and in effect, by volunteering as the maintainer of
«Unauthorized», you are forking it, or announcing a pending fork (waiting
for a diff to apply).