[PD] L2Ork Pd update now available

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 00:50:36 CET 2010

--- On Thu, 12/16/10, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu>
> Subject: Re: [PD] L2Ork Pd update now available
> To: "Roman Haefeli" <reduzent at gmail.com>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Thursday, December 16, 2010, 4:00 PM
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 14:04 +0100,
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> [list].
> > >
> > > Then I agree with your decision to drop aliases
> altogether.
> >
> > To me this discussion sounds like: "Aliases are hard
> to implement when
> > using the libdir format (which was not intended by
> original author
> > anyway), so let's drop them". IMHO, that's a weak base
> for such a
> > decision.
>
> Actually, they are not hard at all. I already tried
> building the whole
> thing with aliases and it boils down to changing a few
> lines in the
> installer. That said, I've reverted it back as I
> philosophically agree
> with Hans. There is no reason for those aliases to exist
> other than
> backward compatibility. Then again, it is exactly this kind
> of backward
> compatibility (imho) that has been keeping Pd from evolving
> faster. At
> some point one simply has to leave some things behind to be
> able to move
> forward faster. And these aliases are such an easy fix that
> even in the
> context of backwards-compatibility it is a matter of a
> simple script
> updating your old patches and replacing object aliases with
> the original
> ones.

It's also a matter of the developer writing a script to find all
cases of the
aliases in the current documentation and change the ones that have
the deprecated name-- and if you're keeping the long name and
discarding the short, to actually open each modified patch and make
sure the new name doesn't collide with, say, a comment, or another
object.  But most importantly, making sure any externals that are
abstractions have the correct name in their guts (which, if not
correct, will adversely affect the mood of a user who just went to
the trouble of making/running a script to use this flavor of Pd).

-Jonathan