[PD] [PD-announce] Piksel video report: Sonification of IT censorship technologies

john saylor js0000 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 01:19:00 CET 2010

greetings

if i understand you, one of your indirect points is that artists need
to get more scientific. this seems correct to me [art has always been
practiced by leading scientists, think of einstein and his violin].
and at the same time, this does not mean to ignore imagination- it
means you must do everything.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Derek Holzer <derek at umatic.nl> wrote:
> This is a classic example of the ongoing (mis)communication(s) between
> artists and scientists.
> And far too many artists lack the training to engage with the
> real media of their work and instead hire technicians to realize it for
> them.

as most of us know, traditional artistic training does not cover what
tech savvy artists need to know:
 - how to program [something]
 - how is information stored and retrieved using [relational] data bases
 - what is the network like both as artistic medium [there is some
activity here] and for propaganda purposes

and for all artists:
 - what is the role of money in art culture [a subsidiary to: what is
the role of money in my life] ?

but learning how to do art is hard enough. and understanding
technology from a tools perspective is hard enough. so why is it that
any artist will take this upon themselves?

because it's necessary to their art works. [that's enough]

--
\js : "verbing weirds language." -calvin  [http://or8.net/~johns/]