[PD] Piksel video report: Sonification of, IT censorship technologies

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 23 01:39:58 CET 2010

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Collin Oldham wrote:

> Thank you for also caring about my comment. What I mean by
> "unsympathetic criticism," is criticism that comes from a point of view
> of not liking the thing that is being criticized. Some people need a
> little courage to receive that kind. I don't know if your point of view
> is sympathetic in this case, but if it's not, well of course that's
> perfectly valid too.

Well, yes and no, I don't like that the work doesn't seem to be connecting
the topic of the input data to the musical experience, but I like that
artists attempt to talk about online censorship and politics.

> The point that I thought was worth trying to make is that artists should
> not let fear of criticism preempt their creative impulses.

That's something that they're supposed to have learned early in their BFA
and/or MFA degrees, if they went that route. Otherwise, they have to learn
it anyway.

> P.S. sorry I misspelled your name, Mathieu.

Consider yourself lucky to not have to get the pronunciation right ;)