[PD] timing

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 14:51:28 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 08:10 -0500, Mike Moser-Booth wrote:

> On 12/22/10 7:28 PM, Dietrich Pank wrote:
> > thank you guys for your answers!
> >
> > I think I understand the basic theory.
> > Experience is something else... e.g.
> > line~ and metro doesn't work sample correct even in block~ size 1
> > vline~ doesn't work in block~ sizes <64
> >
> > And even thresholds fastest response is 64, less block size doesn't
> > increase it's quality. I'm baffled because I understood this object as
> > gateway from audio back to event (sample count/analysis to trigger)...
> >
> I have found this to be the case as well. It seems most (maybe all, not
> sure) signal-to-message objects have a minimum hard limit of 64 samples.

Yeah, I don't know of any either.

> [bang~], [edge~], and [threshold~] I've noticed for sure are like this.
> I don't know about [vline~] since I use it to avoid having to change the
> block size. :-)

I happily repeat myself:
There is no need to adjust the block size when using [vline~]. See the
attached patch. It's a (aliased) square wave oscillator built with
[metro] and [vline~]. See that it works for any blocksize >= 64 samples.

As Dietrich already pointed out, for some reason it stops working as
expected when using a blocksize < 64. I don't why this is and I suspect
it to be a bug.

Roman