[PD] [PD-announce] Piksel video report: Sonification of IT censorship technologies

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Dec 24 15:38:37 CET 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Derek Holzer wrote:

> here I would agree 100%, as it follows directly from what I wrote already. Ii
> think, rather than dealing with the fallout of the Romantic era as Mathieu
> suggested, we are dealing with the fallout of the 1980's--and its
> intesification of spectacle and commodity.

Why would it have to be one or the other, but not both ?

Lots of things are happening concurrently in the world, but it seems like
arguments often avoid acknowledging that complexity. It's not you in
particular.

> Although driven by a different kind of economics--mainly grants and
> subsidies with academic, social and political concerns involved--art/sci
> work still strives for the spectacle in a similar way.

In the end, what ever artist ever wanted is to show off. After that, you
can make a distinction between showing off the budget, vs showing off the
skills (of techniques and imagination...), and whether one kind of showing
off is hindering another kind of showing off.

> For any art to be experimental, the possibility of failure must be
> present at all times.

For any art to be really experimental, failure has to be an undefined
concept. But seriously : how do you evaluate whether something « has
failed » in art ?

> avant-garde concert pianists [...] idiosyncrasies [...] Canadian

Btw, have you come across l'Infonie yet ?