[PD] question about pd tutorial

Aaron L. elmastero74 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 23:12:40 CET 2010

Hi.

I'm trying to do the tutorial near the bottom of this page (the one titled
"3.1.2.2.3 Processing adc-input"):

http://www.pd-tutorial.com/english/ch03.html

....which mentions "Say something into a microphone and play it back at a
changed volume"

I'm not totally sure how this would work, however.

I can indeed see the signal on my mic when talking into it (i.e. it gets
hotter the louder I talk) but using the slider doesn't do anything to the
volume.

At least from what I can tell anyway.

Am I missing something here?  Could it be my audio setup (I'm on Ubuntu 8.04
using ALSA)?

Should I be hearing the volume increase when sliding up and volume
decreasing when sliding down?  Because I'm not.

I'm hearing my voice in my headphones.  It just doesn't change in regards to
the slider's position.

Thanks for any input.

-Aaron