[PD] spinning sounds around the listener

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Sat Jan 29 16:23:49 CET 2011

Yes spinning is easily done with ambipan~ for instance. Since you have
control of the radius (sound distnace) and angle (rotation), the way that
you vary the angle variable determines the speed of course.

This can be "simulated" with two speakers only, for example with binaural
rendering of the audio. With ITD (see the list) the ears are tricked into
believing that the sound arrives from a certain position.

What I found in my implementations, installations, papers is that all this
works better with HRTF models, this means: you know where the head of the
users is. How to do that? OpenCv Head Tracking, IR tracking system with
rigid bodys (by far the best), and recently Microsoft Kinect.

Best regards,
Pedro

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM, ronni montoya <ronni.montoya at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello, im working on a installation and i need to simulate the effect
> of spinning sounds around the listener.
> Each sound is spinning around a different center point  which are
> located around the listener. Ive made this pic so you can understand
> better:
>
> http://www.zshare.net/image/8587193340809633/
>

> So my question is :
> Do anybody have tried something like this in pd?
> Is it possible to achieve this kind of effect using 2 speakers?
> If not , which speaker configuration and synthesis approach do you
> recommend me to achieve this goal?
>

> thanks
>

> R.

Pedro Lopes (MSc)