[PD] Music Made with Pd

Pedro Oliveira hello at partidoalto.net
Wed Feb 9 13:02:44 CET 2011

> since im am always interested in live performance of 'computer music',
> (all my own music is recorded live with pd+controller in a kind
> of dub-like way) i would of course like to know what you were
> doing there. some kind of slowed down samples (granular? phase
> vocoder?) and kind of resampling (maybe scanned synthesis?)
> i guess from the recording, but i would really like to know
> the details.

Actually that is my main interest also, and that's one of the reasons why
this small project "Performance for One" was created.

But about the technical setup it was my first time ever performing live with
Pd, so I kind of created an "ensemble" of possibilities I could work with,
however limiting myself to only four channels...

One of the channels deal with, yes, granular synthesis (thanks to the
nqpolywrap object) using long samples from the recordings (from 20 to 60
seconds), but what makes them interesting is the range that I allow the
grains to be selected from. From the grain synth to the output I have a
really really simple decimator effect which I can control the mix btw. dry
and wet signals.

The second channel has another really simple synth based on two phasors,
plus buckets full of reverb and some samphold to add "dirt".

The third channel is a so-called bass where I generate a random table with
six values, and play them with the Monome so everytime I generate new values
for the table I get new notes I'm not aware of, therefore I have to think
really quick.

Last but not least, the fourth channel has only one-shot samples, also taken
from the recordings. I divided them into three subgroups: short (no longer
than 15 seconds), long (up to 120 seconds) and "hammerfluegel" which is a
recording of the aforementioned instrument during the Opera.

Yeah, that's it. I tried to keep it really simple to avoid overwhelming my
processor and to be able to control as many parameters I could with the
devices. I don't know if it was clever, but it was my own way of solving
it...

Cheers,

--
Pedro Oliveira