[PD] Calculating Triangles Inside A Polygon

Tyler Leavitt thecryoflove at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 21:50:00 CET 2011

Hello all,

I have an idea for an object that controls parameters based off of the area
of triangles inside a polygon (I was thinking volume of different harmonics
for a synth, but it could be anything). I don't even know if this
is mathematically possible, and I've done enough Googling to where I'm
beginning to think that it is not. But perhaps I just don't know how to
correctly phrase what I'm searching for...

Can anyone shed some light on this? The idea is to drag the vertices of the
polygon to change the shape, and consequentially the masses of triangles
inside. I've attached a PNG of what I'm trying to describe as far as the
triangles made by intersecting lines. If you know what I'm going for but
don't want to explain it to me, perhaps you could point me in a direction,
or give me the correct term to describe this. I'm still willing to continue
devoting lots of time to Googling/research =)

Tyler

(And in this example with the pentagon there would be 10 different
triangles... didn't mean to label the pentagon).