[PD] Sigmund~ and tracks.

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 16 04:16:52 CET 2011

> > Perhaps this should be a new thread but why does sigmund have a frequency
> > range of 100,000hz, and what would be a decent useable range from practical
> > experience?
>
> Strange - I never read that part of the help patch carefully.  It's
> even stranger because it actually says the default maxfreq is
> 1,000,000 Hz, not 100,000.  I'll assume there's a good reason for this
> that I'm just missing.  But otherwise I think I'm understanding that
> setting in the same way you are: it puts a cap on the highest spectrum
> component that you want [sigmund~] to report.  Assuming that's
> correct, I'd say you're safe capping it at 15kHz.  That'll keep the
> number of oscillators you need practical without losing serious high
> end detail.  But I think the best advice is to trust your ears...with
> some sounds (like speech) you might not be disturbed if you cap it at
> 10kHz.

The default maximum frequency of a million means that, on most existing
audio hardware, there's effectively no limit.  Sigmund~ can never
report a frequency above the Nyquist, so unless the sample rate is more than
two MhZ the Nyquist is the effective limit.  It's usually OK to leave it
at the default, but for some instruments the pitch output is more stable
when it's set lower.

cheers
Miller