[PD] Sigmund~ and tracks.

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 03:44:36 CET 2011

> I'm not completely clear about the continuation flags?  I can see from the
> help file that they're there but what do they mean?

On every analysis period, several track reports are output in a burst.
 These provide the frequency and amplitude of what [sigmund~]
considers the most important components in the spectrum.  It does its
best to find continuity between the components in the current frame
and those in the previous frame.  Of course, sometimes it fails to
connect things nicely, sometimes there are new components that weren't
there last time, and sometimes old components disappear.  That's why
each track report has its own flag.  If it's a new track that flag
will be 1.  If it's a continuation of a previously existing track, the
flag will be 0.  So you can do some patching logic to make sure that
continuing track information is always routed to the appropriate
oscillator in your bank (i.e., the one that is already tuned to
roughly that frequency).  If you have a new track with a flag of 1,
you'd want to send that track information to a silent (currently free)
oscillator in your bank, and fade it up to the desired amplitude so
that you don't hear a click from sudden change in frequency.

> Perhaps this should be a new thread but why does sigmund have a frequency
> range of 100,000hz, and what would be a decent useable range from practical
> experience?

Strange - I never read that part of the help patch carefully.  It's
even stranger because it actually says the default maxfreq is
1,000,000 Hz, not 100,000.  I'll assume there's a good reason for this
that I'm just missing.  But otherwise I think I'm understanding that
setting in the same way you are: it puts a cap on the highest spectrum
component that you want [sigmund~] to report.  Assuming that's
correct, I'd say you're safe capping it at 15kHz.  That'll keep the
number of oscillators you need practical without losing serious high
end detail.  But I think the best advice is to trust your ears...with
some sounds (like speech) you might not be disturbed if you cap it at
10kHz.