[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Feb 16 21:44:02 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Andy Farnell wrote:

> The sensitivity of sound to small changes in implementation has been on
> my mind from the start, so if you like the emphasis was on a reliably
> portable functional equivalence without code compatability. I have
> always taken this, perhaps presumptuously, as one of Miller's strong
> principles. Without it the slogan "The diagram is the program" fails,

When I came up with that slogan, I wasn't thinking about portability nor
functional equivalence, and I still don't see how they are related.

Even though portability is nice and functional equivalence is also nice.

« The diagram is the program » only meant that unlike other dataflow
diagrams that people may have seen in the context of software engineering,
those pd diagrams are source code that can be run as-is. I came up with
the sentence while trying to explain pd, because I showed a pd patch and
the other person didn't realise that it was not a form of high-level
documentation for something else.

> and one cannot use Pd to write books, teach or otherwise share datafow
> programs in a purely visual way.

I'm following even less...

> The commercial advantages too, as the RjDj project benefitted from and
> upheld, are ease of maintenance and widespread compatability across
> diverse hardware.

Is RjDj using ZenGarden, or LibPd, or both ?