[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 22:36:52 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:44:02 -0500 (EST)
Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Andy Farnell wrote:

> > principles. Without it the slogan "The diagram is the program" fails,
>
> When I came up with that slogan, I wasn't thinking about portability nor
> functional equivalence, and I still don't see how they are related.

They are related above in that they were both goals of ZenGarden.

> « The diagram is the program » only meant that unlike other dataflow

It is the word "only" here that puzzles me Mathieu. Please don't undervalue
that slogan (and I apologise if I misattributed it), it is astute if not
profound to recognise a one to one correspondence between the image and
the logic. In interpreting it further one might say "The diagram is the sound",
at least that has been my hope for what is to be taken as an appeal to a
visual markup for sound in "Designing Sound" *. So far it seems to have
worked out well.

*(Of course some data elements do get hidden, initial states maybe..)

> > and one cannot use Pd to write books, teach or otherwise share dataflow
> > programs in a purely visual way.
>
> I'm following even less...

Not sure how to help, because not sure where you fell off there.
Seems obvious to me that where a picture captures a sound in its
entirety it is a powerful pedagogical device. By "purely" I meant
sole/only way.

> > The commercial advantages too, as the RjDj project benefited from and
> > upheld, are ease of maintenance and widespread compatibility across
> > diverse hardware.
>
> Is RjDj using ZenGarden, or LibPd, or both ?

Actually neither right now, tis Miller Vanilla with a little extra
goodness by Amaury Hazan and Paul Brossier to make it work on those
nasty iThings. Though what we call RjDj as a product rather than
software base is now in its adolescence and may assume new forms
with ZenGarden and/or LibPd and/or other frameworks AFAIK.
You need to ask Martin Roth who is now in the captains seat
for technology there.

> | Mathieu Bouchard ---- tél: +1.514.383.3801 ---- Villeray, Montréal, QC

best,
andy