[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 21:28:14 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:39:33 -0500 (EST)
Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> With Pd-extended's opaque boxes, you could be making mistakes involving
> NON-identical boxes on top of each other. But frankly, I don't recall this
> happening. (I was also the first one to advocate opaque boxes and show a
> prototype.)

Imagine this disaster: You highlight an area of a dense, complex patch. By
accident, while attempting to duplicate, you hit CTRLC then CTRLV,
thus copying the entire area onto itself in place. The objects beneath
continue to work of course, blindly spitting out data to things like arrays
and sends. Meanwhile, you start to make new connections to what looks
like a normal patch, but are in fact doppelgänger objects in the
top copy.... hilarity ensues.

> IEMGUIs have lots of hidden settings : receive-symbol, send-symbol, init,
> lin-log.

Yep. Fortunately these can be figured out in most cases.

> All subpatches has to be opened in order to see a complete file on-screen,

Great in education, with good structure complex patches can be discussed
in bite sized modular chunks. Hoorah! for sub-patches.

> [loadbang] creation order

Good one. I forgot about this one.

--
Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>