[PD] Gem+v4l2loopback (was Re: pdp_vloopback ?)

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 18 19:50:38 CET 2011

On 02/18/2011 07:33 PM, Jack wrote:

> it's the same as with the film- and video- plugins: you need to have the
> plugins besides your Gem.pd_linux:
> $ pwd
> .....Gem/src
> $ ln -s plugins/recordV4L2/.libs/gem_recordV4L2.so .
> $
>> Done, but i still have the problem after :
>> $ ln -s plugins/recordV4L2/.libs/gem_recordV4L2.so
>> I get :
>> ln: creating symbolic link `./gem_recordV4L2.so': File exists
>> Any way to fix this problem ?

seems like i lost track of where exactly you are stuck.

#1 you need a recent version of Gem (you have that, i figure)
#2 you need to compile the recordV42L plugin
 - this is usually done automatically when you compile Gem using "make"
 - all the plugins do some auoconf checks for required infrastructure
(obviously you need a linux system for recordQT4L; it also checks for
libV4L, but this should be optional)
 - if not all requirements are met, you might end up with an "empty"
(and thus non-working) plugin

 - since i'm using automake, the compiled plugins are a bit hidden; they
live (e.g.) in plugins/recordV4L2/.libs/

#3 you have to make sure that the plugins end up besides Gem.pd_linx
 - if you run "make install", this should be handled automatically
 - if you just want to test (and not "install"), you have to manually
copy (or symlink) the files next to your Gem.pd_linux

SO:

it seems like you already have a file "gem_recordV4L2.so" besides your
Gem.pd_linux; if this is an old _copy_ remove it, and copy/symlink the
new one to this place (i usually do symlinks, but that's because i'm
developing and want to have my changes to take immediate effect)
if it's a symlink, then you should be fine

then you start Gem (make sure you load the correct .pd_linux file), and
create a [pix_record] object.
watch the console! it should tell you about the found backends (it
managed to activate)
watch the stderr (your terminal!) if anything goes wrong; you will see
notes about each plugin that is tried; if it fails, you should see an
error message there.

gfamsr
IOhannes