[PD] pix_set / pix_gain weirdness

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:20:45 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Bastiaan van den Berg <buzz at spacedout.nl>wrote:

> If only puredata just used YUV by default internally for _everything_ so at
> least it would be a bit faster, and I think a lot more work can be done to
> get a better video performance. Maybe someone on the list has a nice list of
> semi-universal tips to make video patches run faster?

GEM on OSX and pdp on any platform do this.

> Or maybe for video puredata is just 'almost' fast enough with computers
> nowadays.. Can't imagine ever playing with GEM and pix_ stuff on a Pentium 3
> for example. What I mean is, that puredata only recently has become a viable
> option for the stuff that you and I want to do with it?

I started doing 1920x1080 HD work using GEM on OSX in 2006 and never had
performance problems. I had the engineers who write Final Cut Pro tell me
that what I was doing was physically impossible with modern CPUs, yet it was
done.  At this point streaming raw video out of a 5D or P2 cam, recording it
to disk while manipulating the video using shaders is the baseline for
performance, not fantasy.