[PD] 0.43 should still be a test version

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun May 8 17:56:48 CEST 2011

On May 8, 2011, at 8:28 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> On 05/08/2011 02:14 PM, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Version 0.43 still isn't mature enough to be used for purposes other
>> than testing it.
>
> i switched to Pd-0.43 in a few "external" production environments
> (installations that are not only handled by me, that is), and use it
> exclusively on my "own" machines.

I've also switched all my development and testing activity to 0.43,
but still use 0.42.5 for teaching.  But I'm also on Ubuntu 10.10 and
Mac OS X 10.5, so I'm not quick to upgrade.  I think Miller uses 0.43
now too, but I could be wrong.  If you are interested in continued
development on 0.42.5, I think Ico has done some with pd-l2ork.

.hc

>> It should not be considered as the recommended release for "everyday
>> use"; and most important, until it is stable, bug fixes should be
>> still
>> released for version 0.42. I am especially worried about this last
>> thing, as now for example I have to choose between a version that
>> can't
>> broadcast UDP packets on Linux (0.42.5) and a version where the GUI
>> may
>> stop responding at any time (0.43.0).
>
> i guess you are aware that not being able to "broadcast UDP packets"
> is
> not a bug at all, it's simply a missing feature.

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but with
live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick