[PD] 0.43 should still be a test version

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue May 10 18:10:23 CEST 2011

On 05/08/2011 02:28 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> i guess you are aware that not being able to "broadcast UDP packets" is
> not a bug at all, it's simply a missing feature.

No, I was not aware of that. Is it really? On windows, you can broadcast
UDP packets with a [netsend 1] by sending it a "connect" message with an
IP broadcast address, such as 255.255.255.255 or x.x.x.255 (where x.x.x
is the local network address) which are the standard IP addresses that
are reserved for broadcast.

On linux, you get a "permission denied" message if you do that and it
does not connect nor send packets. I seem to remember that someone told
me that in the Linux those addresses had been disabled (don't know why),
that is, that it had been possible to use them in past versions.

I thought a broadcast address was just an IP address like any other, and
I thought the operating system's network protocol stack took care of
broadcasting the packets that are addressed to that address. I didn't
know there was any need for a "feature" to implement it. That's why I
called it a bug. The "permission denied" message made me think that the
reason it didn't work was that Pd wasn't doing all it had to do to get
the permission to do the broadcasting, or something like that...