[PD] Sometimes I cannot select ALSA on Linux

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Mon May 16 12:52:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

With Pd Vanilla 0.42.5 under Ubuntu, at random times, the following happens:

- I open the "media" menu and select ALSA
- I review (but don't change) the audio settings and click Apply and OK
- This doesn't work: ALSA get not selected (if I open the media menu
again it is not checked), and there is no sound.

No matter how many times I repeat the procedure (without restarting pd)
there's no way to get it to work. But if I close and reopen Pd, then
most of the times it works.

No error message appears in the console, but if I've run pd from the
command line I can see this error in the terminal (by the way isn't it
wrong that such a critical error isn't reflected in the console?):

""
snd_pcm_open (input): Device or resource busy
snd_pcm_open (output): Device or resource busy
""

How comes that the resource is busy if I have no other application using
it? And why is it busy sometimes and sometimes it isn't (without closing
and opening any application, other than Pd, between retries)? And if
restarting and retrying works, why doesn't just retrying work? (i.e.
selecting ALSA again without restarting Pd)?

Is there a way to have Pd use Pulse Audio? I know I can use Jack but I
have to start the jack server etc; when I don't care too much about
latency and the like, I would like to just have Pd's sound pass through
Pulse Audio as everything else. Is that possible? How?

thanks
m.