[PD] OCR with Puredata?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jun 1 17:49:29 CEST 2011

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Jack wrote:

> You can do this with the use of artificial neural network (for character
> recognition). There are externals for Pd :
> http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/externals/ann/

Is it just me, or it sounds like it's going to take a lot of preprocessing
before you can even think of feeding it to a neural network ?

Human vision is made of a lot more layers of neurons than we can hope to
deal with in artificial networks.

At what angles should characters be recognised ?

Which colour on which colour ?

You better settle those things first, so that you can figure out how you
can reduce your data beforehand.

But making an OCR using ANN is a lot lot more work than using an OCR
library. Making a Pd-to-OCR-library interface is less work than making an
OCR abstraction library... and it isn't necessarily because Pd would be
bad at it (I don't know about that). It's more because it takes a lot of
knowledge to make an OCR library from nearly scratch.