[PD] ardino "open" message and version

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:05:23 CEST 2011

Hi,

Digging into the [arduino] abstraction I've noticed that it seems to
assume that [flatspace/comport] will output a "open 1" message when the
connection is open, but that never happens.

There is a "pd report firmware version" connected to comport's right
outlet that does the following:

[inlet]

[route open]

[select 1]

[delay 2000]

[version(

[outlet]

and that's sent back to [pd command processing], as if that was used to
ask the arduino for its version when the opening of the connection is
detected. However, that does never happen because the "open" message
never comes from comport's right outlet in the first place.

However I do see the firmware version message on the console. So I'm
guessing that the arduino outputs it when it gets connected, on its own
initiative, without being asked. Is that right? Or is that triggered
from somewhere else?

The only thing coming out from flatspace/comport's right outlet seems to
be a "-1" when the connection is closed.

By the way I now see that the help patch for comport also has a [route
open] (among other messages) on its right outlet, so maybe it is
actually a bug in [comport] not outputting the open message?

Thanks
m.