[PD] pix_film can't open almost any file after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:59:34 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've recently upgraded ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10, and I had to uninstall
pd-extended and reinstalled the new package for 10.04.

After that, pix_film crashes when I try to open many video files that I
used to be able to open without issues.

It crashes with a few MOV files encoded with mjpeg but doesn't crash
with some other AVI files also encoded with mjpeg (don't know if it was
the exact same codec or not) (all these are files it used to be able
open), and so far it crash with ANY new file that I have tried to encode
with ffmpeg, with avidemux, both mov and avi and with several different
codecs. I can't find any format I can generate with ffmpeg or avidemux
that pix_film will open without crashing.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
I'm desperate, as this breaks almost all the patches I was working on
and I can't seem to find even a workaround, such as recoding all videos
to a format that would work.

Just hoping someone has had a similar issue and figured out what got
broken when upgrading to 10.10...

This is Pd Extended 0.42.5 which has Gem 0.92.3, as it ships in the
Package for Ubuntu 10.10 downloaded from puredata.info.

Needless to say I can open these files in just any other software other
than Pd.

Thanks in advance
m.