[PD] Another arduino weirdness

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 15 00:57:06 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-14 17:45, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 11:01 PM, Martin wrote:

>> Well maybe you have different versions of [comport]. The 'open' message
>> is output after the [comport] object receives an [info( message from
>> within the Pd patch: it's not related to the arduino.
>
> Yes that accounts for the "open" message which would come from
> [comport]'s right outlet.
>
> But there are other messages sent by the arduino, such as the ones
> reporting the firmware version, which are being lost.
>

> I've found out that if I send the arduino the "version" message, then
> these messages _are_ received (also in Windows), while when the Arduino
> send them just after connecting, they are lost in Windows.
>
> So I think there must be an issue either in the Windows version of
> [comport] or in the Windows drivers, that if a message is received too
> soon after connecting, it is lost.

Yes I've run into that with arduino on MacOSX; the arduino bootloader is
active for about 5 seconds after power-up, or whenever the port is
opened if you are powering it via USB, so you have to be careful not to
send anything through the serial port in the first 5 seconds or the
arduino will interpret it as an incoming program.

Martin