[PD] file/print function?

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:40:11 CEST 2011

Hi,

I was using the file/print function [not the print class] last week, and
ran into some issues. Does anyone use this function regularly?

My system is XP with pd-ext 0.42, or pd-van 0.43 (I think there's no
change between versions).

All versions save the file with no problems. But, on windows, the file
can't be opened by any program: Gimp, Inkscape, Acrobat, ... But in Ubuntu
(same Pd versions) the file created has no problems.

I also have the following suggestions:

- printed surface: print only prints the visible canvas area. Which is not
good, if you have a big patch (or in my case, a data structure score of
around 22 A4 pages, canvas size of ~10000 points). I tried editing the
patch with a text editor to make the canvas size bigger, but it didn't
help.
I would suggest to either to make the whole canvas exportable by default
(independently of what's visible in the window), or an option to either
keep it as it is, or export the whole canvas.

- a couple more print formats would also be nice, if that's not
complicated. For example:
   - direct to the installed printer (might assume an new print settings
window, etc, a bit complicated)
   - tiff or png

Best,

João Pais