[PD] Launching puredata -nogui from a terminal

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 20:30:02 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 16:39 +0200, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I launch Pd from a terminal (without "&"), when the terminal is
> closed Pd dies, which is fine for me.
>
> However, if from the terminal I launch Pd with the "-nogui" option, then
> it survives and keeps running even if the terminal is closed.
>
> Is there a way to launch Pd from a script with -nogui in such a way that
> when the terminal in which it was launched is closed, the Pd process is
> also killed?

Hm.. don't know why it shows this behaviour with -nogui. Perhaps the pd
process is a child process of the pd-gui process, and probably pd-gui
immediately stops running after launch when -nogui is set, thus pd is
not a child process of the terminal and won't shutdown when the terminal
is killed? just some thoughts....

Anyway, you still could send the 'pd -nogui' process to the background
and then later kill it by its process ID:

$ pd -nogui &
$ pdpid=$?

and later:

$ kill $pdpid