[PD] Launching puredata -nogui from a terminal

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 21:10:28 CEST 2011

On 06/17/2011 08:30 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> Hm.. don't know why it shows this behaviour with -nogui. Perhaps the pd
> process is a child process of the pd-gui process, and probably pd-gui
> immediately stops running after launch when -nogui is set, thus pd is
> not a child process of the terminal and won't shutdown when the terminal
> is killed? just some thoughts....

Same thoughts here :)

> Anyway, you still could send the 'pd -nogui' process to the background
> and then later kill it by its process ID:
>
> $ pd -nogui&
> $ pdpid=$?
>
> and later:
>
> $ kill $pdpid

But I would have to do it manually, right? Since it's not me who have to
use the patch, I'm looking for a way to ensure that one cannot forget to
do something and end up with half a dozen puredata processes running
without being aware (i.e. without any open window), but at the same time
I do want to launch this particular Pd instance with nogui.

Is there a way to use that approach (in a shell script or something) in
such a way that I can ensure that the killing is done when the terminal
is closed?

(by the way I need something that would work on Mac OS, but usually as
far as shell scripts and the like are concerned, simple stuff that works
in linux also works in Mac OS with little changes...)