[PD] Pd performance at TED

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Mon Jun 20 09:12:18 CEST 2011

Von: pd-list-bounces at iem.at [mailto:pd-list-bounces at iem.at] Im Auftrag von
Marco Donnarumma
Gesendet: Sonntag, 19. Juni 2011 22:37
An: pd-list at iem.at
Betreff: Re: [PD] Pd performance at TED

>Hans, Onyx is playing mostly loops isn't he? How you know about the timing?
>We don't even know how much of what he's doing is really live, what is he
triggering, if timing is controlled by a timeline >or by his performance.
>Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Marco, it looks like you still didn't get what he is doing.

Onyx is playing a wind controller that requires fingerings like a saxophone
(or similar). He is playing melodic lines or triggers chords / samples with
woodwind fingerings while controlling dynamics and other things with the
breath controller in his mouth. He can switch between the different tracks
(drums, bass, chords, solo) by selecting different targets with a button.
But the melodic lines are played in realtime with his custom "wind
controller".

How would you play such melodic lines (like those jazz licks) - in time -
simply with gestural control? How would you improvise on scales, pattern or
harmonic structures? After all he's a jazz player calling his music "beat
jazz".

The movement looks to me secondary - it's more like a dance movement and not
too much music control.

Ingo